Sunday, March 22, 2015

Punishment :: Foxx Tone Machine :: Work in Progress #3

So here I have printed on two enclosures and learned a couple of things. These are the first two color enclosures I've ever done, and herein are some tips that will make things easier in the future.

1.) LINING THINGS UP: As you've seen in the previous post, all the secondary text is a different color but also placed in different positions on the screen.  THIS IS AN INEFFICIENT IDEA!!! I thought it was going to work, but it resulted in a lot of drying the screen and trying to line things up.  For the next round, I think it'd be better to have all the secondary text lined up as it should be screened.  This will help you only have to make one pass and know that the image will be lined up as it should.  You can really tell on the Red image that the  Ge/Si diode section is tilted.  Try as I might, it was hard to gauge how "straight" the image lines up after you've masked off other portions to not have any paint go all over the place.

2.) COLOR: I really like the sparkle color paints that I have.  For the base color, I used a silver sparkle paint (I think it looks cool, and the paint was easy enough to work with).  However for the secondary color, I chose copper sparkle, which as you can see (or not!) is that the contrast is not deep enough between the silver and the copper.  It is very difficult to see against the silver.  But this is OK since the copper one is for me, and the red one is for a friend.  But it raises some questions about my color choices for other duochromatic pedals.

3.) BALANCE: This one kind of goes in with the color portion above, but looking at the pedal, there is an imbalance in the colors used (imo).  I think that a little bit at the top, and a little bit at the bottom, as well as the so called bulk in the middle would look a lot better. I think I would change the "BLACKSKYCRAFT" to the secondary color, and the "OUTPUT 9V INPUT" to  the secondary color as well.

So with those three things in mind I think for the next pedals I create I'll try to make sure that I create a better system of lining images up.  It might require me to buy a second screen, but I'll just have to see. I'll probably post again about how I do it.  In the mean time I'll need to wait for a dry weather day here to go over the enclosures with a clear coat and then later on down the line start the drilling process.

No comments:

Post a Comment