Saturday, March 21, 2015

Punishment :: Modified Foxx Tone Machine :: Work in Progress #1

So I thought I would finally put something up for the "entire" process of me assembling a guitar effect pedal. So here goes something... this is by large an effort to try to make adjustments to the existing effect, inspiration comes from Laowiz/superglops/Rob McIntosh.  If you haven't had a chance to check out his etched pedals, then take a moment and behold.

For the most part I already had in mind the effect I was going to use, so that made the artwork part relatively easy.  After finally hearing what the Foxxx tone machine (FTM) actually sounds like, I though it was rather interesting pedal and one that I'd like to try to build upon.

Having read some reviews of it, there were some complaints about the tone settings, in the base circuit there is a single tone control for both fuzz and octave settings, so I tried to change the filter controls when you change between settings.  In addition to this, there is diode clipping in the tone control circuit using germanium diodes, so why not make it on-on-on switchable for no and silicon diode clipping as well?

So to make long story short, I wanted to create a duochromatic base graphic that I could use, with options for labels that could be used later on for 3 pedals which I have multiple PCBS for (BYOC Mouse, BMP, and now FTM)
Here is the graphic that I'm currently working with...
Some things to keep in mind when working with this as i've learned is to make sure you measure things accurately!!! if you are using information on line, make sure you understand which part is being measured.  There are plenty of times which I have had to go back to the printer and re-print images because it is incorrect.

The method that I'm most comfortable with at the moment is screen printing, so I'll try and provide a little background for those who might be curious later on.  But you may or may not have to color invert your image so that the ink goes where you want it to.

After you have confirmed which image you want to use, you'll need to print it out and size it up. to make sure that your knob measurements and sizes are correct.
Based on the two preliminary design I was working with, this is somewhat along the lines of what the pedal should come out looking like.  The gain control was really measured for the specific knob on the left, but I as just playing around with out it looks.  I like both of images on the left and right, but I'm leaning more towards the image on the right.  I like it because the LED placement is a little more straightforward for determining which channel the effect is on. 

Have seen that things line up, its time to start working on the enclosures.  This picture probably doesn't show it, but the first thing you need to do is sand it down, and medium grain sandpaper should do, you just need to remove the excess gunk that is on top of it (left enclosure), and rough it up enough to give the spray paint something to grab on to.  As a word of advice, I would say to keep the sanding motion in the same direction, you will see scratches, and it will look weird if your scratches go all over the place.  I have yet to test whether or not it enhances the ability of paint to adhere to the metal, but from my eye it looks strange.

Here are the enclosures all cleaned up and ready for spray paint as soon as the weather permits.


1 comment: